SCI250 Week 7 Final Examination – 4 points each. Please highlight, check and or underline the most appropriate response for each question.
Section: Multiple Choice
1. Which of the following is NOT true of microorganisms? They produce antibiotics. They are used in the production of many types of food and beverages. They decompose dead animals. They all cause disease in humans.
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the phases of bacterial growth? lag phase stationary phase doubling phase log phase
3. In a properly executed Gram stain, Gram positive organisms appear ______ while Gram negative organisms appear ______ pink, clear. pink, purple. purple, pink. purple, blue.
4. Classification is necessary to _________ establish criteria for identifying organisms. arrange related organisms into groups. provide information about how organisms evolved. All of the above
5. An organism that lives at the expense of another organism is a ________ host. commensal. parasite. symbiont.
6. Undercooked pork is most likely to pass along ________ Schistosoma. Tania. Wuchereria. Trichinella.
7. Arthropods are responsible for transmitting _____ pathogens. viral bacterial protozoan viral, bacterial, and protozoan
8. Symbiosis is an association between ________ two or more species. one or two species. two or more hosts. no species but all hosts. all species but not hosts.
9. All of the following are true of the relationship between microorganisms and diseases EXCEPT: Sickle cell anemia patients are resistant to malaria. Bacterial infections can lead to endocarditis. Viral infections invariably lead to nutritional deficiency. Infections in the brain can result in mental disease.
10. Which of the following represents the correct order of steps in a typical viruses replication cycle? Maturation, adsorption, penetration, release Adsorption, penetration, release, maturation Adsorption, penetration, synthesis, maturation Adsorption, penetration, maturation, synthesis
11. What special group of chemical substances are used to treat diseases by microbes? Antibiotics Synthetic drugs Semi-synthetic drugs Antimicrobial agents Chemotherapeutic agents
12. Which of the following is NOT considered a mode of action by antimicrobial agents? Action as an antimetabolite Inhibition of protein synthesis Inhibition of cell wall sysnthesis Inhibition of membrane permeability Disruption of selective toxicity
13. All of the following characteristics are components of nonspecific host defenses EXCEPT: Fever Mucus Antibodies Interferon Inflammation
14. What name is given to a substance that is recognized by the body as foreign and normally produces an immune response? Antibody Antigen Agglutinin Antitoxin Apoptosis
15. There are a number of different species that can live on the skin as resident microflora. Which of the following is NOT considered resident microflora of the skin? Staphylococcus Corynebacterium E. coli Deodex All of the above
16. Defense mechanisms in the urogenital system are numerous and include ________ normal flora complete with opportunists. sphincter muscles. flushing action of fluids. low pH. All of the above
17. Food poisoning can be caused by a variety of microbes. Which of the following pairs is incorrect? Clostridium botulinum — enterotoxin which is heat liable Staphylococcus aureus — enterotoxin which is heat stable Pseudomonas cocovenenans — bongkrek disease Bacillus cereus — toxin is an emetic Clostridium perfringens — enterotoxin and wound infection
18. The upper respiratory tract consists of the ________ pharynx. nasal cavity. bronchi. All of the above
19. Group B Streptococcal disease include ________ early onset neonatal sepsis and meningitis. late onset neonatal menegitis. etiology is Streptococcus agakactiae. All of the above
20. In closed environments, such as military bases, dormitories, and day-care centers, 90% of the population can be carriers of this organism, yet only 1 per 1000 develops the meningitis. What is the etiology? Neisseria meningitidis Haemophilus influenzae Haemophilus influenzae Streptococcus pneumoniae Listeria monocytogenes
21. Food contamination occurs as a result of ________ unsanitary practices by food handlers. improper storage. importation. All of the above
Top of Form
22. What is a possible symptom of Lyme disease? A bull’s-eye rash at the point of the insect bite Flulike symptoms Arthritis Symptoms resembling Alzheimer’s disease All of the above
23. Clinical symptoms of tuberculosis primarily result from ________ host inflammatory response. mycotoxins. endotoxin. mucus production exotoxin
24. Widespread lesions with intense itching; other mites cause house dust allergy when their feces are inhaled by allergic individuals Rat bite fever Pasteurella multocida infection Tick paralysis Scabies Pediculosis Myiasis
25. Which of the following stains is used to classify microorganisms based on their cell wall content? Capsular stain Gram stain Spore stain Negative stain Methylene blue
SCI 250 MICROBIOLOGY Solution Links, Click the Following link to BUY SCI 250 Week 1 Cell Division Template
SCI 250 Week 1 Staining Lab and Quiz
SCI 250 Week 1 Identifying Bacteria
SCI 250 Week 2 Parasitology Matrix
SCI 250 Week 2 Epidemiology Presentation
SCI 250 Week 3 Virus Matrix
SCI 250 Week 3 Team Summary-Microbial Resistance Debate
SCI 250 Week 4 Innate Defenses Matrix
SCI 250 Week 4 Immunity Activity
SCI 250 Week 4 Learning Team-Allergens-The Good and the Bad
SCI 250 Week 5 Integumentary System Lab and Quiz
SCI 250 Week 5 STD Informational Pamphlet – Appendix G
SCI 250 Week 5 Learning Team Activity-Smallpox-To Eradicate or Not to Eradicate
SCI 250 Week 6 Respiratory System Lab and Quiz
SCI 250 Week 6 Cardiovascular System Lab and Quiz
SCI 250 Week 6 Cardiovascular and Respiratory Systems in Health and Infections
SCI 250 Week 7 Nervous System Lab and Quiz
SCI 250 Week 7 Learning Team Activity-vCJD vs CJD
SCI 250 Week 7 Final Exam